Friday, August 17, 2012

Chocolate Cake - The Ultimate Recipe, One Bite of This Utterly Luscious Cake is All it Takes

Luscious CakeI've decided to be really generous and give you my secret recipe for the ultimate chocolate cake and quite possibly the greatest chocolate cake of all time.
A bit of a sweeping statement I know, especially with so many CC recipes making the same claim. But one bite of this deliciously rich, moist and utterly luscious cake will confirm you're onto a winner and have you helplessly devouring the whole thing, powerless to resist its deep, dark, chocolately charms.
My chocoholic friends say it's totally orgasmic...
And I have to agree. In fact, I'm thrilled to tell you, this glorious cake scores on all levels. Apart from having the most wonderfully intense chocolatey taste, it has a proper cake texture. By that I mean it's moist yet 'cakey' with a bit of crumb.
It isn't a damp squidgy cake that can't decide whether it's a cake or a brownie. Neither does it collapse in the middle - a la Nigella's Chocolate Cloud Cake although according to her it's meant to, which seems a bit weird if you ask me! I was always taught if a cake sinks there's something wrong with the mix. Meeow!
To bring you the best ever chocolate cake, I've spent months testing recipes, including ones by Delia Smith, Rosemary Shrager, Nigella, Sophie Grigson and one from the River Café. And not one of them comes close to the cake I'm giving you here. Double Meeow! But it's true.
Either the texture was wrong or they weren't anywhere near chocolately enough. The wonderfully named Chocolate Nemisis from River Cafe came close in flavour, but the texture let it down. I've since been told it's notoriously difficult to get right. If I'd known that in the first place I wouldn't have attempted it!
But I digress.
The point is the chocolate cake you're looking at here is pretty simple to make. It's rich yet light because it doesn't contain any flour. Yet unlike other flourless cakes, there's no faffing around whipping up egg whites or careful folding in. You make it along the lines of a standard sponge. There's nothing 'A' Level about it. It also slides effortlessly out the tin without collapsing in the process.
But what really grabs me most is the taste and texture. It is sensational with a capital S. I almost feel I should keep this recipe secret, it's so good. But being the kind hearted soul that I am, feel I must share it with you, so you can experience it for yourself and hopefully drop me a line afterwards to tell me just how wonderful I am for giving it to you!
I feel a cake as good as this deserves a decent topping. In this case nothing less than a ganache will do. If you want to cover the sides of the cake as well, just make double the amount. The quantity I'm giving you here though, is enough for a decent sandwich filling and topping.
One final point, you can either make a large cake, or split the mixture equally between two sandwich tins as I have done here. I can vouch that both work equally well. If you're making one large cake, cook it for 40-45 minutes otherwise cook for 30-35 minutes if using two sandwich tins.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment